Ashley Wijangco is a 25-year-old writer, content creator, and creative professional who specializes in sports writing, journalism, and blogging. She is based in the Chicagoland area and graduated from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in May 2017 with a Bachelor of Science in journalism, a public relations minor, and a SportMedia certificate.
During her senior year at Illinois, she was co-editor-in-chief of Illio, the university’s official yearbook. It went on to be named a top-10 yearbook by the Associated Collegiate Press in the “300+ Pages Yearbook” category. Following graduation, Ashley was a communications intern for the National Basketball Players Association, assisting with various tasks from social media posting to website content creation. She currently does freelance work.
Ashley’s favorite things about writing are communicating ideas, sharing stories, and connecting with others. But writing is just one area she excels in. She loves to be creative and is also experienced in other areas of media and content creation: photography, design, and social media. She enjoys how writing, photography, and design intersect to portray a cohesive story. That connection is the very reason why she loved being on a yearbook staff in high school and college.
Whether it is writing an article that reaches fellow sports fans or creating content for a company that assists others, her goal is to one day have a career in which she can utilize her creativity, communications skills, and media versatility to help, inspire, and connect with others.
Ashley was born in Chicago, raised in the suburbs, and grew up a Chicago Bulls fan. Ashley loves sports in general, but basketball has had her heart the longest. That said, she played sports for a couple of years during her youth, mainly basketball and volleyball, but stopped playing sports competitively early in high school.
Ashley’s interest in sports remained—grew even—after her playing days, as she found herself intently watching every single Bulls game that she could. Soon enough, she started live tweeting the games as a hobby, finding that fans really enjoyed it. Eventually, it got her, her first gig, a sports writer/social media reporter, and she has been involved with sports media ever since. If it weren’t for her love of basketball, she’d never discovered her love of writing, so she’s grateful for the sport in many ways.
When Ashley isn’t writing or watching basketball, she likes to watch Broadway musicals and listen to Broadway cast recordings, binge Marvel movies and television shows, bake desserts, read books, and practice hand lettering.
Ashley is open to professional offers and freelance opportunities. To inquire about hiring Ashley for her services, please email her via the form provided on the “Contact” page.
Favorites and Firsts
- Favorite Sport: Basketball
- Favorite Sports Team: Chicago Bulls
- Favorite Athlete: Kirk Hinrich
- Favorite Broadway Musical: Bandstand
- Favorite Books: If You Feel Too Much by Jamie Tworkowski, Pacific Rims by Rafe Bartholomew, Patron Saints of Nothing by Randy Ribay
- Favorite Movies: Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers, Gifted
- Favorite TV Shows: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Agent Carter, One Tree Hill
- Favorite Superhero: Captain America
- First Sport: Soccer
- First Basketball Jersey: A hand-me-down Champion-branded Scottie Pippen Bulls jersey
- First Broadway Musical: The Phantom of the Opera
- First Broadway Musical on Broadway: Miss Saigon
- First Job: Staff writer and social media reporter for Pippen Ain’t Easy
- First Article: “Kyle Korver: More Than Just a ‘Basket Maker'”
“I am a writer perhaps because I am not a talker.” ― Gwendolyn Brooks